Thursday, November 17, 2011

30 Days of Thanks: Day Seventeen

Today I'm thankful for the field trip I took to Pearl Harbor and the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial. Believe it or not, after living here for almost 2 years, I've never had the opportunity to visit this historic place, simply because its not really a place to bring kids, and I'm ALWAYS with the kids. Mary was gracious enough to babysit this afternoon, so that Ray and I could go. 

If you get the chance to come to Hawaii, please don't miss out on this experience. It's one of the coolest things I've seen since living here. It was a humbling and sobering experience to remember the events of the day Pearl Harbor was attacked, marking our entrance into WW2. 

After the visiting the memorial and walking through the new visitors center, we also took a tour of the U.S.S. Missouri, the battleship on which the Japanese formally surrendered to the Allied Forces, ending WW2 in 1945. 


It was such a beautiful afternoon, and such an amazing experience !

No comments: