Friday, August 19, 2016

Chartlottesville

At the beginning of July, our family took a short weekend trip to Charlottesville, VA. My cousin Dustin and his wife graciously offered up their house for us to stay while they are in Colorado for the summer. I've wanted to make this trip ever since we moved to VA and it's only a short 90 minute drive from us. Our first stop was James Madison's home, Montpelier. We only had about an hour here, so we didn't pay to tour the home. But, we had a great time walking the beautiful mansion grounds and free museum.



Reading with James and Dolly
On Friday night, we headed downtown for dinner. We ate pizza and got some yummy gelato at Splendora's upon recommendation from my cousin Sarah! They had this really cool chalkboard wall. If you look closely in the right bottom corner, Keaton wrote part of a verse... :-)
On Saturday morning, we headed to Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home. It was a beautiful day!
They had tons of 18th century period activities for the kids to try out. The boys loved writing their names with quill and ink.

And playing tic tac toe

TJ's grave. After seeing his home and land, I definitely left with much respect for the man!
overlooking the plantation
"The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have past at home in the bosom of my family." - Thomas Jefferson
"These are wise words. Enterprising men quote 'em. Don't act surprised, you guys, cause I wrote 'em."

We were able to spend our final evening hanging out with my other cousin Sarah (Dustin's sister, I know, confusing) and her husband Scott, who is finishing his PhD in History at UVA. We went to Blue Mountatin Brewery in Afton. It was amazing!
Such a getaway!

No comments: