Tuesday, May 6, 2014

In other news...

We are very excited to announce that we are expecting #3 in early November! 

The boys have surprised me with their reactions to the news. Don't let the above picture fool you. Keaton is much more excited to be wearing sunglasses than about a new sibling. Over the last few weeks, his attitude on the subject has changed from indifference to moderate disapproval to outright opposition. He's told me that he's going to stay at a friend's house when the baby is born, so he doesn't have to hear him/her crying. Just this morning, it was, "Babies are cute, but they're pretty lazy. You can't even play with them and they just want to mess up your toys." He still has not told any of his friends and shushes me when I bring it up in public.   My gut is that this boy knows deep down that he's already got competition for cuteness factor in our family. I think he sees this new baby as just another division of our attention towards him. :-( Thankfully we still have a few months... praying that his heart will change by the time he/she arrives.

Mark, on the other hand (who usually goes off his brother's every cue) loves announcing to anyone and everyone that "mommy has a baby in her belly." He's become acutely aware of babies around us, and likes to point them out to me and talk about at how cute and funny they are.  Mark got to go with us to the 12 week ultrasound, and he got a huge kick out of seeing the baby "wave" to us and have hiccups. He loves to kiss my belly and say "hi" to baby. He's convinced it is a "sista" even though I've tried to tell him that might not necessarily be so.

So, this is the reason I've been such a poor blogger lately. Let me premise the upcoming rant with the fact that I know I'm blessed. I'm so thankful for this baby, especially having experienced miscarriage in the fall. I know that carrying a child is something that some women would give everything to do. I know all this, and I thank God every day for this privilege.

But, this scene from "What to Expect When You're Expecting" pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole experience right now...

Pregnancy is not easy for me. I feel the absolute curse of Eve when I'm pregnant. I don't recognize myself physically, emotionally, spiritually, socially, or any other way. The joys of my normal life -  cooking, eating, shopping, exercising, caring for my family (not to mention the occasional glass of wine) - all are lost in an abyss of nausea and malaise. There is general revulsion for food interrupted by uncontrollable cravings which usually leave me unsatisfied. And it never goes away. There are bad days and worse days - no good. I felt this way with both of the boys (Keaton for 19 weeks, Mark for all 40), so I shouldn't be surprised by this experience, right? But, it's taken me 3 1/2 years to forget what a huge pain in the neck (and hips, and back, and feet...) making a human is. Thanks so much to all of you for your prayers, for meals, for helping out with my boys so I could get extra rest. I truly am so thankful! The 2nd trimester is here (finally)... only 2 more to go. 


Little one... I love you already. I can't wait to meet you and welcome you to our little family. In the meantime,  I've given you everything you want. Tuna fish for breakfast, sour cream by the pound, mac salad, mayonnaise sandwiches, sushi... now take it easy on your mama, please!

3 comments:

Grandma said...

Well a certain big sister did Not Want another baby in our family. Glad we didn't listen to her! She was actually excited when we announced we were going to have a baby! What would we do without Scott. I wouldn't be posting these to your blog! KRA will come around!

Melissa Batusic said...

So so so excited for you. You better not be feeling this way in Canada :)

livinginthemidwest said...

Congratulations!! I was nauseous through all of my pregnancies too. Not fun stuff. And I remember being soooooo tired that first trimester. It is weird to look back and think "it wasn't that bad was it?". Ha. We will be praying for you as this baby continues to grow. Wish we could be there to meet this little guy/gal. We'll be praying for Keaton too. What a stinker. I know he will be a good big brother once the little one arrives. At least he has months to adjust to the idea. :o) So excited for you all!