Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Blueberry Shamrock Muffins

I love baking! Unfortunately, I also love to EAT what I bake, so I try to limit my baking to weekends and special occasions. Dilemma: Mark and I got a hankering for some muffins this morning. Hmm...what's the closest "special occasion" that could justify baking on a random Wednesday in late-February? Well, St. Patty's day is only 3 weeks away, so how about some semi-healthy green muffins? 
Please pardon the very non-food blog worth iPhone pics. I really had no intention of blogging about this...

I'm not usually very intuitive when it comes to modifying recipes, but I was really happy with how these turned out! They were super-moist, and just sweet enough.

Speaking of sweet... I'd be nowhere without my super-sweet kitchen helper!
My secret ingredients! Powdered Spirulina (found at Costco) - so many health benefits and bonus -  it turns everything it touches bright green! I love coming up with ways to color foods with real foods instead of yucky food coloring. My other secret ingredient is Arbonne Daily Fiber Boost. If you've never tried this stuff, it's awesome! It's tasteless, texture-less, and it adds 12 grams of fiber per scoop. It doesn't change consistency of anything you mix it in, so you can stir it in baked goods, pasta sauce, smoothies - I love it! And of course, it's Arbonne, so the fiber comes from all natural sources, and is super-easy to digest. If you are interested, I actually know a consultant :-) The good news is that if you don't have these secret ingredients, the muffins will still be yummy. Just not as green. Or healthy.

The muffins weren't quite as green after they were baked. I might try adding some spinach next time? Hmmmm.... 
Blueberry Shamrock Muffins 
Ingredients:
3 large ripe bananas
1/3 cup agave nectar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup blueberries (I used frozen)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp spirulina powder
2 scoops Arbonne Daily Fiber Boost


Directions:
1. Mash bananas in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add agave and egg.
3. Add coconut oil and blueberries.
4. Combine dry ingredients and gently stir into banana mixture.
5. Pour into 12 well-greased muffin cups (or  I always do 24 mini muffin cups)
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
 And they're really not that bad for you either...
Per Mini-Muffin
Cal: 94
Carbs: 14g
Fat: 3g
Protein:1g
Fiber: 2g
Sugar: 6g

























No comments: