My sweet, innocent little (almost) 19mo old has had a challenging week, and so has Mom & Dad. Is it possible that the terrible two's have arrived - 5 months early??!! Is there a specific diagnostic test for this "terrible two" stage? Here are the symptoms:
- He tries hard to express himself in words, but still can't (at least not in a language that we can decipher). He gets extremely frustrated with us when we don't understand him and meet his every want & need as demanded immediately.
- He regularly throws toys or food or whatever is in his hand when he does not get what he wants. Then he usually cries, because he realizes that he wants to play with or eat the item that he threw...
- His favorite word is "NO" and he uses this word in repetitive form, gradually increasing in volume as if pleading. "no, No, NO, NO, NO!!!"
- He regularly practices the "Open Mouth Trust Fall" (as we have named it) - he falls backwards onto the ground flailing arms and legs in protest. He takes it for granted that one of us break his fall.
- Sometimes, he gets so frustrated that he hits himself in the head with toys or pounds his head on the wall as if to punish us by making us watch him hurt himself.